Friday, January 21, 2011

Does diet affect Rheumatoid Arthritis?


That's the million-dollar question.  From my research and my rheum doctors opinion, no conclusive evidence exists to show that particular foods make RA symptoms flare up or decrease.  My rheum doctor told me that they have found people who suffer from rheumatoid arthritis have intestines that are more permeable to certain antigens, allowing these antigens to invade the body, stimulating the symptoms. Although most experts are not ready to endorse major changes in diet, they are cautiously acknowledging that certain foods may affect painful joint inflammation, which is the main symptom of this chronic and sometimes crippling disease. 

After seeing my rheum doctor and discussing what I could do until I decided to go on medicine, we decided to try diet.  She does not believe it will stop my disease but she did think it might help with the symptoms.  I began by slowly cutting one thing out at a time.  First eggs which was easy because their are so many substitutes. Then milk, not all dairy I had to cut out cheese slowly. I then cut out soy which is by far the hardest since soy is in absolutely everything. Once I mastered these 3 things I slowly cut out all dairy which was easy because I took it slow.  I am not a big bread girl so it has not been to hard to cut out gluten.  There are also many substitutes for flour and other mixes. It took me 2 months to totally cut soy, dairy, gluten, and eggs out of my diet. After being on this diet I have found that I seem to be most sensitive to soy and egg.  Which is interesting since my sister just found out she is allergic to soy and egg. Allergies do run in families. I have to say I feel great.  I have energy without coffee which is pretty amazing with two kids running around.

The diet was really working for a while and I thought maybe just maybe I had food allergies that were causing these issues. Then I would wake up with a swollen joint or sore feet and I knew that wasn't the case. Most doctors will  tell you it has no effect on the way you feel but it did for me almost immediately.  Diet will not stop the disease but I do believe it will help to keep the flare ups away and bring back energy.  Whenever I cheat I pay for it.

I went back for a follow up visit and talked to my rheum doctor about how I was feeling and how the diet was going.  She still wants me to start medicine as soon as possible but is still working with me on investigating all options before medicine. She is sending me to have allergy testing done to see if I have any allergies or sensitivities.

It's smart to consider how your lifestyle might play a role in the ups and downs of rheumatoid arthritis. Take control of your health and do as much as you can to make yourself feel better.  Medicine is not always the only or immediate answer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment