My rheum doctor has given me the 2 options if I want to continue breastfeeding. Both drugs pass to the breastmilk and then to the baby.
- L1 (safest)
- L2 (safer)
- L3 (moderately safe)
- L4 (possibly hazardous)
- L5 (contraindicated)
- A (controlled studies show no risk)
- B (no evidence of risk in humans)
- C (risk cannot be ruled out)
- D (positive evidence of risk)
- X (contraindicated in pregnancy)
Which she says is safe to take while breastfeeding. This is what screams out to me in my head "its a steroid!"
2. Plaquenil/Hydroxychloroquine (L2, C drug)
My rheum doctor says I can take this while breastfeeding but she wouldn't recommend it. Hmmmmm...well is it safe or not? In my opinion NO! It is used for treating Malaria and is an immune suppressant.
A couple of months ago Advil and Tylenol weren't helping to manage my pain so I researched Naproxen. I found a couple of different sites that all told me different things. "safe", "absolutely not safe". So I called my pediatrician who told me that the American Association of Pediatrics said it was safe to take while breastfeeding. My pediatrician told me to air on the side of caution though and if he acted lethargic or started to vomit to stop. So I debated a few days and then decided since they say its safe I will give it a try. My poor little man slept the whole day away and when he was up continuously spit up. So needless to say I stopped. This is why I am so apprehensive to take medicines.
What I have realized is this is really a decision I have to make myself. I can ask 10 doctors what they think and they can all tell me something different. I can read 10 articles and have the same outcome. In the end I will take what I want from it and hear what I want to hear.
Here are some informative links I found...
If anyone else has gone through this and taken the medicine while breastfeeding or made the decision not to breastfeed I would love to hear from you. Looking for support.