Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Anyone else out there?

It has been 8 months since I was "diagnosed" with RA but it is now official.  I have Rheumatoid Arthritis.  I have 5 out of the 7 symptoms on the checklist for RA and you only need 4.  Over the last 8 months I have really watched my disease progress. I have not taken any medicine because I have been nursing my almost 9 month old son.  My Rheumatologist was pretty sure but not positive I had RA so I  wanted to see how this all progressed and research research research. I believe you are your best advocate when it comes to your health. 

When I first saw my Rheumatologist I only had 3 of the symptoms high RF blood count, morning stiffness and joint pain in the hands.  I can now add swelling in joints and nodules to the list. Thinking I might have it compared to actually having it is very different.  I was really hoping it would all magically disappear maybe turn out to be a really bad virus. Every time I think I have come to terms with RA something new happens and the fear sets back in. One thing I know for sure after watching family members struggle with heart disease, diabetes and high cholesterol. I will take the next step and take control of the disease it WILL NOT TAKE CONTROL OF ME!

What is so amazing to me is that there is so little support out there for people with RA.  There are a ton of sites on the disease its self but not much else. I was really looking for an RA Mommy group but found nothing. I have had such a great Mommy support system with my daughter and son. I found a few forums with people asking questions and never getting answers from years ago.  How can this be?  I know there are other Moms out there!  I am trying to build something for people like me who just have questions and want answers from someone who knows.  A doctor can answer questions but they haven't lived it.

Right now I am taking control of my life by doing things that make me feel better and keep my house and family in control.  I get so overwhelmed if a room is a mess or needs to be cleaned that I'm almost paralyzed. I can't tackle it because I don't know where to start.  I am taking it one step at a time and making small goals for myself.

Anyone else out there?

6 comments:

  1. Yes, we are out here! I am a young mother with RA trying to find balance in life too. I have often felt very alone also. Hang in there! It will be good to follow your journey and help one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am out here too Have you posted your Blog on your Facebook Page? I have gotten to be a part of so many helpful groups and getting daily feeds to my stream I can catch the latest RA news. Don't give up on your page , I have had RA for 5 years and have been through alot including my 15yr old son being diagnosed as well. If you want to talk please email me ..Christinesmichebags@gmail.com
    http://christinesgotitinthebagmiche.blogspot.com/
    you can also check my blog out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we're out there. I'm 31, a mother of two, and have had RA since 2007. Definitely looking for other Mom's out there to connect with! Feel free to contact me, crlynch02@hotmail.com. Thanks! Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you need help you can email me cherry.cortes@shoecloud.com or requesting for any assistance of free consultation

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm here too! Are you still working on this blog? Some mornings I just need to be reminded that I am not alone and other moms understand this life.

    ReplyDelete